- Oregon State won the toss and deferred.
- The Beavers were the designated road team and wore their white jerseys;
Missouri wore their all black jerseys.
- SEC officials called the game.
- Oregon State is one of 45 teams nationally to play in at least three
bowl games over the last four seasons.
- Weather: 45 degrees, wind WNW at 6 mph, partly sunny
- Oregon State improved their record against Missouri to 2-0.
- The Beavers are now 14-21 all-time versus current Big 12 members.
- The offense picked up 30 first downs, 24 of them via the pass.
- The Beavs ran 18 more plays (83-65) and held the ball seven minutes
longer than Mizzou (33:35-26:25).
- OSU converted on 6 of 15 third downs and two of three fourth downs.
Oregon State was a perfect six of six in the red zone.
- TE Joe Newton made his 100th career catch on an 11-yard pass from Moore
in the second quarter.
- Newton grabbed two touchdown receptions bumping his career total to 15,
the most in Oregon State history by a tight end. He finished with six
catches for 74 yards.
- RB Yvenson Bernard had a 28-yard gain on the Beavers first
offensive play of the third quarter. It was his, and the teams, longest run
of the year. He finished with 97 yards on 23 carries for a 4.2 yard
- Bernard is now the third leading rusher in OSU history with 2,664 yards
rushing. He sits behind Ken Simonton and Steven Jackson.
- Bernard is now sixth all-time in career all-purpose yards with 3,645.
- Bernard finished the season with 1,323 rushing yards on the season, good
for the fifth highest rushing total in one season.
- QB Matt Moore was named Player of the Game after completing 31 of
54 passes for 356 yards, four touchdowns and one interception. He also
added a touchdown on the ground with a quarterback sneak in the first
- Moore set the school record for consecutive passes without an interception
at 182 before he was picked off by Brandon Massey in the third
quarter. Moore was hit while throwing the ball. The record was
previously held by Terrance Bryant with 170 in 1998.
- Moore finished the season with 3,022 yards passing. This is only the
fifth time an OSU quarterback has passed for more than 3,000 yards in a
- WR Sammie Stroughter caught a co-team high eight passes for a
team high 87 yards and one touchdown.
- Stroughter finished the season with 1,328 yards receiving good for the
third highest in a single season by an OSU receiver.
- Stroughter also finished the season with 74 receptions, tying him with
James Newson for the fifth most catches in a season by an OSU receiver.
- DE Jeff Van Orsow recorded his third sack of the season in the
- LB Joey LaRocque led the Beavers with nine tackles, including 3.5
for loss. Before the Sun Bowl LaRocque had three tackles for loss all
- ATH Gerard Lawson lined up at safety for the first time this season
and gave up a 42- yard gain on third and
16 to setup the Tigers only field goal of the game. He did not return
- CB Coye Francies added two breakups raising his season total to
- S Daniel Drayton grabbed his first sack of the year in the second
quarter. He also added his third forced fumble on the year.
- LB Alan Darlin had six tackles, including one for loss, and
recovered his fourth fumble of the year. A team high.
- S Sabby Piscitelli, LB Derrick Doggett and S Bryan
Payton all recorded five tackles a piece.
- Missouri had seven plays of 29 yards or longer and converted on third down
four times with plays that covered 17 or more yards.
- The Beaver defense gave up 98 points in its last three games of the
- OSU added three more sacks bumping their season total to 47.
Special Teams Notes:
- PK Alexis Serna made all four of his extra points bumping
consecutive extra points made streak to 106. Serna has now completed
two seasons without missing an extra point.
- P Kyle Loomis averaged 42.6 yards on five attempts.
- The Beavers received a break with under a minute to go in the first quarter
when Bernard appeared to fumble at the one yard line with Missouri
recovering. But the officials ruled him down and on the next play Moore
stuck in for the Beavers second touchdown of the game.
- The Tigers surprised the Beavers performing an onside kick to start the
second half. It looked like Slade Norris touched
it at about nine yards with Missouri recovering, but the officials said
Missouri touched it before Norris.
- On another strange play, following Moore's interception, Brandon Massey
was tackled by Ruben Jackson and fumbled the ball. TE Jason Vandiver recovered
the ball for a 25-yard gain and an OSU
- Missouri led 17-14 at halftime.
- There were only three combined penalties the entire game, two on OSU for
15 yards and one one Missouri for 15 yards.
- Mizzou set a Brut Sun Bowl record with 561 yards of total offense,
breaking the mark of 530 set by Pitt vs. Texas A&M in 1989.
- The Beavers trailed by 14 points with 12:04 left in the game before
scoring 15 unanswered points to win the game.
- This was Oregon State's eighth win in its last nine games. Their
only loss in the last nine weeks was to UCLA in Pasadena.
- Head coach Mike Riley has never lost a post-season game. He
has won all three bowl games as head coach at Oregon State and all three
bowl games as offensive coordinator at USC.
- This is the Beavers second 10 win season in school history. The
only other time they have won 10 games was in 2000 when they went 11-1.
- The Tigers and Beavers combined for 77 points, the second-highest
scoring game in the Sun Bowl's 73-year history.
- The game took four hours to play.
- Oregon State went 4-1 on national television in 2006 (Boise State, USC,
Oregon, Hawaii and Missouri)
Play of the Game
With 23 ticks left on the clock Matt Moore threads the needle
for a beautiful 14-yard touchdown to TE Joe Newton to bring the Beavers
within one of Missouri. Coach Mike Riley is ready to kick
the PAT and head for overtime, but Gary Pinkel calls a timeout in hopes
of icing K Alexis Serna.
During the timeout Yvenson Bernard, Kyle DeVan and Roy
Schuening, among others, convince Riley to go for two.
With the game on the line the Beavers lineup in a goal line formation with
Bernard and Andy Stewart in the backfield.
Moore calmly makes sure everyone is set and hikes the ball. H-back
Brandon Powers slams into the left side of the line with Stewart close
behind. Bernard does a little stutter step before surging behind left
guard Adam Speer for the two-point conversion and the victory.
Players of the Game
Offense - QB Matt Moore He looked sharp early, but faltered in
the third quarter before finding himself again in the fourth, leading the
Beavers to two touchdowns in the last eight minutes of the game. He
finished 31 of 54 for 356 yards, four touchdowns and one interception. He
also added a touchdown on the ground. That is what being a senior
quarterback is all about.
Defense - LB Joey LaRocque had a total of three tackles for
loss coming into the game, but recorded 3.5 in the Sun Bowl more than doubling
his season total. He finished with nine tackles leading the team in defensive
stops for the seventh time this year.
Special teams - P Kyle Loomis did a heck of a job, but the star
is Sammie Stroughter who fielded a 43-yard punt with a just a little over
a minute left in the game on OSU's own seven yard line. He slipped the
gunner and ran across the field slipping another coverman before returning the
punt 39 yards to the Oregon State 46 giving the offense a short field to work