Schuening, a native of Pendleton, earned first team honors after being selected to the honorable mention teams the last two seasons. He set a Beaver record in last Saturday’s victory over Oregon at Autzen Stadium by making his 49th start, all consecutively. He is considered one of the top senior guards in the nation, although he also played tackle at times this season due to injuries.
Smith overcame two missed games due to an injury to be one of the best defensive ends in the league. He finished the regular season with 37 tackles and is among the conference leaders for tackles for loss and quarterback sacks.
Eight Beavers were selected to the second team, including the entire starting linebacker corps of Derrick Doggett, Alan Darlin and Joey LaRocque. Doggett leads the team for tackles (85) and interceptions (4), and earned second team honors for the third consecutive year. Senior defensive end Jeff Van Orsow and junior cornerback Brandon Hughes joined the linebacker trio on defense.
Look for the player cards for the second and first team members later this week.
UW's Jake Locker was named Freshman of the Year while former Beaver coach and current Arizona State head man Dennis Erickwon was named Coach of the Year. He is the only coach to ever be named Coach of the Year at three different Pac-10 schools (Washington State, Oregon State, and Arizona State).
The full press release can be viewed at Pac-10.org.
First Team Selections
- Roy Schuening, OL, Sr., Pendleton – 2005 and ’06 Pac-10 Honorable Mention
- Dorian Smith, DE, Sr., Van Nuys, Calif – 15 career quarterback sacks.
Second Team Selections
- Yvenson Bernard, RB, Sr., Boca Raton, Fla – 2006 Pac-10 First Team; 2005 Honorable Mention
- Andy Levitre, OL, Jr., Ben Lomand, Calif – 2006 Pac-10 Honorable Mention
- Jeff Van Orsow, DL, Sr., Las Vegas, Nev – 37 straight starts
- Joey LaRocque, LB, Sr., Agoura, Calif – 180 career tackles
- Alan Darlin, LB, Sr., Elk Grove, Calif – 25 career starts, 148 career tackles
- Derrick Doggett, LB, Sr., San Diego – Three-time Pac-10 Second Team
- Brandon Hughes, CB, Jr., Bloomington, Ill – Team-leading 10 pass breakups
- Alexis Serna, PK/P, Sr., Fontana, Calif -- 2005 Groza Award recipient
Honorable Mention Selections
- Al Afalava, S, Jr., Laie, Hawai’i – 61 tackles, third-highest on the team
- Curtis Coker, DT, Sr., Las Vegas, Nev – 25 career starts
- Kyle DeVan, C, Sr., Vacaville, Calif – Three-time Pac-10 Honorable Mention
- Daniel Drayton, S., Sr., Haceinda Heights, Calif – 32 tackles, 9 starts
- Gerard Lawson, KR, Sr., Las Vegas, Nev – 22.1 yards per kickoff return
- Gerard Lee, DT, Sr., New Orleans – 12 starts.