Schuening, a native of Pendleton, earned first team honors after being selected
to the honorable mention teams the last two seasons. He set a Beaver record
in last Saturday’s victory over Oregon at Autzen Stadium by making his
49th start, all consecutively. He is considered one of the top senior guards
in the nation, although he also played tackle at times this season due to injuries.
Smith overcame two missed games due to an injury to be one of the best defensive
ends in the league. He finished the regular season with 37 tackles and is among
the conference leaders for tackles for loss and quarterback sacks.
Eight Beavers were selected to the second team, including the entire starting
linebacker corps of Derrick Doggett, Alan Darlin and Joey LaRocque. Doggett
leads the team for tackles (85) and interceptions (4), and earned second team
honors for the third consecutive year. Senior defensive end Jeff Van Orsow and
junior cornerback Brandon Hughes joined the linebacker trio on defense.
Senior running back Yvenson Bernard and junior tackle Andy Levitre represented
the offense on the second team. 2005 Lou Groza award recipient Alexis Serna
represented OSU on special teams.
Beavers earning honorable mention include Curtis Coker (DT), Kyle DeVan (C),
Al Afalava (S), Daniel Drayton (S), Gerard Lee (DT) and Gerard Lawson (CB/KR).
Look for the player cards for the second and first team members later this
Oregon's Dennis Dixon was named the conference's Offensive Player of the Year
while USC's Sedrick Ellis was named the Defensive Player of the Year.
UW's Jake Locker was named Freshman of the Year while former Beaver coach and
current Arizona State head man Dennis Erickwon was named Coach of the Year.
He is the only coach to ever be named Coach of the Year at three different Pac-10
schools (Washington State, Oregon State, and Arizona State).
The full press release can be viewed at Pac-10.org.
First Team Selections
- Roy Schuening, OL, Sr., Pendleton – 2005 and ’06 Pac-10 Honorable
- Dorian Smith, DE, Sr., Van Nuys, Calif – 15 career quarterback sacks.
Second Team Selections
- Yvenson Bernard, RB, Sr., Boca Raton, Fla – 2006 Pac-10 First Team;
2005 Honorable Mention
- Andy Levitre, OL, Jr., Ben Lomand, Calif – 2006 Pac-10 Honorable Mention
- Jeff Van Orsow, DL, Sr., Las Vegas, Nev – 37 straight starts
- Joey LaRocque, LB, Sr., Agoura, Calif – 180 career tackles
- Alan Darlin, LB, Sr., Elk Grove, Calif – 25 career starts, 148 career
- Derrick Doggett, LB, Sr., San Diego – Three-time Pac-10 Second Team
- Brandon Hughes, CB, Jr., Bloomington, Ill – Team-leading 10 pass breakups
- Alexis Serna, PK/P, Sr., Fontana, Calif -- 2005 Groza Award recipient
Honorable Mention Selections
- Al Afalava, S, Jr., Laie, Hawai’i – 61 tackles, third-highest
on the team
- Curtis Coker, DT, Sr., Las Vegas, Nev – 25 career starts
- Kyle DeVan, C, Sr., Vacaville, Calif – Three-time Pac-10 Honorable
- Daniel Drayton, S., Sr., Haceinda Heights, Calif – 32 tackles, 9 starts
- Gerard Lawson, KR, Sr., Las Vegas, Nev – 22.1 yards per kickoff return
- Gerard Lee, DT, Sr., New Orleans – 12 starts.